At Kacaba Vineyards ‘sustainable’, is not a buzz word. It is how Michael Kacaba has directed his wine be crafted since 1998. Kacaba Vineyards Winery is committed to continually making and improving the quality of our wines in an environmentally responsible manner. Kacaba Vineyards is committed to environmental sustainability across all aspects of viticulture, winemaking and general operations from soil to shelf.
SOME EXAMPLES INCLUDE:
- Implementing Integrated Pest Management (IPM) methods in the vineyards to reduce and eliminate the need for pesticides, herbicides and insecticides.
- Protecting Designated Escarpment Natural Areas and wetlands. Over one third of our acreage is protected, natural areas.
- Winemaking production methods that minimize water and power usage as well as waste.
- Utilizing green packaging, lightweight glass and products that are biodegradable or recycled.
- Cultivation without irrigation.
- Cultivation of plants that minimize erosion and attract beneficial insects .
- Composting pressed grapes and seeds / Using grape pomace, stems and leaves as compost in the vineyards.
- Embracing handpicking.
- Incorporating marketing and winery tourism collateral materials that are made of products that are biodegradable, recycled or FSC certified.
- Partnering with local Chefs to work with local food / providers for events.